Thursday, December 25, 2008

f a r e w e l l

On a seperate note...
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to everyone!


Farewell to my good ol'....


Companion,

Partner,

Friend.


.

..

...


And I'm not talking about a person.






It's my good ol' faithful car.

(Let's just address 'him' as CJ)


Today is Christmas, and also the same day CJ is sold off to other people due to 'old age' and also due to the severe pressure from my parents. If you've noticed above, I never mentioned that CJ is merely a car or a vehicle; he's my close friend. A really close friend of mine ever since I got my driving license on the year 2001 which was like 7 years back. A trustworthy and close partner whom I dedicate most of my transportation needs' in KL / PJ for the past 7 years until I came back from Terengganu with a motorbike and finally a new car.

In fact, initially I didn't want to sell off CJ due to the fact that I can still drive around to nearby places with him. However, both my parents and (almost) all my other relatives insist to sell off CJ, saying that he is really too old (for your information, he's already 31 years old) and it will be very dangerous for me to drive such an old vehicle around hectic places, especially in KL town area. Moreover, they said that the maintenance costs are too high for CJ and it's more reasonable to buy a new vehicle than to continue wasting money on CJ's high maintenance (which kind of explains why I'm 'forced' to buy a new car). Yes, I have to admit that there's some logic in what they're saying, but still...


I just can't let him go.


There's this feeling...this 'close' feeling I have with CJ. It's like being forced to part ways with a friend you've known for 7 years, and you seriously don't like it. Seriously, if given a choice, I rather not buy the new car and stick to CJ despite all the reasons mentioned above. CJ is my best friend. Once you lose a best friend, it's not easy to get another one back asap. It's not like those Chinese saying "if the old doesn't go, the new doesn't come" kind of nonsense. It's not like if you lose something, you can go buy another new one to replace it. It's this feeling...this longing feeling to be with your friend that hinders me from letting it go...leaving him to follow a new owner who is a total stranger to myself.


And the most scary part is what the new owner is going to do with CJ after he owns CJ. Will he totally destroys CJ to gain scrap metal? Will he cuts CJ into half as part of those 'kereta potong'? Will he re-sell CJ to reckless uncle drivers'? or will he simply treat CJ as well as how I treated him all the while? I'll never know.


But in the end...


I lost the struggle.


'Thanks' to my mum, today CJ is sold off to an uncle who claims to be a second-hand car dealer. Both my parents & me went on to pass CJ to this uncle, & after negotiating the price, terms & conditions, etc, he agreed to buy CJ. And from there itself, I asked the uncle THE critical question.


"May I know what are you going to do with CJ?"


Well, his answer is kind of expected due to his occupation, but it's always safer to double-check, isn't it? So he answered me with the expected answer, nothing fancy. Let's just hope he's an honest person.

Deal done, uncle left with CJ. And what's left with me are sorrowful emotions. Yes, I'm being emotional to a non-living object, but you can't blame me. Being together with CJ for 7 years have developed a bond between both of us, and a sudden farewell like this will definitely ignite emotional breakdown. I know at times, I'm an emotional person, but I'm also a person who treasure long-lasting relationship, be it with living or non-living objects. This may sound crazy or even idiotic to some people, but this is me. Nothing will change it.

I miss you. I miss you. I miss you so, so much, CJ. I really do. And I will always remember today, the day I see you go.


I guess this is the saddest Christmas ever for me.


As always.


2 comments:

Grace Koh said...

I've love mine for 3 years and still counting. I'm sure CJ is proud to serve you throughout the years. It's old and needs a break. Just think of it that way.

evelyn tea said...

Farewell CJ... I still remember the night we zipped through the Klang highway and did that impossible reverse gear in the middle of the highway. It was fun!

Gosh.. he has served your family very well, Jian. Adieu...