Wednesday, April 29, 2009

c o n s i d e r a t i o n

My dear teammate, best friend, colleague, J left my company today, as today is her last day after calculating all the remaining leaves' that she still have left.


There goes my teammate.


And now there's only me & my superior left in my unit of this department. And that's not the best part.


The best part is during our simple farewell lunch for J this afternoon with several colleagues joining me & J. From there, I realised that not only J (& me, in silence) who have thought of leaving this company for good, stop wasting your precious youth and get the heck out of this company. It seems like most of them are thinking the exact same thing !


Sometimes, when you just plainly look at your colleague's face, you can't really tell whether are they enjoying their job or not. Most people won't show it right at their face that their job s*cks like crap or the boss is some id**t who only knows how to point fingers & not considering employees' welfare at all. But then, when times like this, yes, times when one of your colleagues are leaving this "hell" and off to freedom land, only you will see some people's true intention & feedback towards their current job.


From what I observe, it seems that almost 90% of my colleagues in my department have the intention to leave this company. Yes, a freaking 90%. Huge number, that is, but I feel that only half of them are brave enough to tender their resignation letter to the boss once they get a better offer elsewhere. Reasons for discontent towards their job? Almost the same as me, but majority of them feels that there are no room for improvement in this job. For your information, everyone in my department are doing repetitive, routine robotic jobs and the worse part is we have to so-called "clean up all the sh*t" that my boss left after promising every single person out there that "We can handle the work. Just pass all the work to my employees." (which kind of explains why my department is the busiest in the whole corporation). I have a colleague who is even willing to quit this job for another job who pays RM500 lesser than his current salary! Imagine how bad is my current job.


Nevertheless, I really learn a lot of things here. How people react to different situations, how people handle stress, ugly office politics, lousy inconsiderate boss, insane timelines, and much more. I feel that I shouldn't be influenced by my other colleagues' who are "planning-to-leave" or even leaving this company soon. This is MY job, and at the end of the day, it's up to me, my own judgement, to determine whether is it worth it staying here? Is there still anything to learn here? Will there be good prospects if I continue staying here?


And when I've finally decided & got myself a certain, firm answer, I guess it's time again to update my resume and strive on to look for a more suitable job rather than wasting my precious youth here in this unproductive job.

Maybe I just need to be as firm as Grace for this one.


I'm not sure whether I can do it. I'm just so tired of looking for another job, over & over again.


Consideration is a tiring process.


Ohh, I need motivation !


1 comment:

Grace Koh said...

Looking for a better job is definitely worth a try than to be stuck and not being happy.