Sunday, January 27, 2008

c l o t h e s

Chinese New Year is approaching, and yes, I hear you. Everyone (well, almost everyone) is well prepared for it with tons of new clothes, resolutions, etc.

But....

This is not the case for me.

This year...well, from this year onwards, I'll stick to one new principle.


Do not buy new clothes unless you really need it. (Note the word : really).


I know this is hard, especially with everyone around you hanging around with new fancy clothes or some trendy kinda clothing that catches the eye of fashion more than comfort itself. But there are a few things I've learnt after I've officially started working.


Money isn't easy to earn, and I always believe that a month of hard-earned cash can be easily spent clean on buying clothes and stuffs like that alone. No, I'm not trying to say that buying new clothes for Chinese New Year is a crime or some sort, but why buy new clothes when you don't need them? I mean, those nice Chinese New Year clothes from previous years is still there and ready to be worn again and again, why do you need to buy new clothes for the sake of this occasion and because you need something new to celebrate the upcoming lunar new year?


Imagine those people from poorer countries who doesn't even have proper clothes to wear.


Imagine those people with lower income who can't afford to wear a proper, nice clothing.


Haihz. Sometimes, even me myself don't know what am I really thinking. This random thought just popped out of nowhere. Maybe...

Finally I have realised the significance of saving money for the rainy day.

Who knows when will you need the small amount of money for a more worthy cause?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

friend,
Don't be so "kiamsiap" lah
When you buy new clothes for CNY, always ask yourself: "Is this cloth suitable for me to wear to work?".

Like this, no only you have new clothes to wear during CNY but also have new clothes to wear to work after CNY. :-)

Grace Koh said...

I know what you mean...but to me, I must buy at least one new clothes to wear on the first day of CNY as the saying goes, "New Year New Clothes"

And it has to be red :)