Thursday, July 03, 2008

c o n s u l t i n g

I returned from my longggg 3rd vacation and a very brief 4th vacation last Saturday, and here I am, back home, getting some much deserved rest & coolling down when suddenly, my ex-colleague who is still working with my ex-company and owns a computer shop back in his hometown (weird, ehh?) , calls me up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colleague : Hey, are you interested to become consultant for my cybercafe? I'm planning to open one at my hometown.

Me : Ermm, ok, should be no problem. So, what should I do? And when do I start work?

Colleague explains the details.

Colleague : So, I'll need you to follow me back to my hometown this Thursday. I'll send you there and back here to PJ next Monday. This trip is fully sponsored, so you don't have to worry to spend even a single cent.

Me : Sounds good. Ok, see you then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After putting down the phone, I was slightly devastated. I'm a person who likes going according to plan, and when last minute stuffs like this happen to me, I feel like sh*t. Basically, my initial plans for my whole vacation are partly ruined. Initially, I've planned a 1 1/2 weeks break gap before I go to the 5th & last vacation of mine, which is going back to Terengganu, before I even start looking for a new job (as my funds are pretty empty already). Now that this 'consulting' thing cuts a path in between my break gap, seems like I'll need to reschedule everything.


Back to the 'so-called-freelance-consulting' for my ex-colleague's upcoming cybercafe.


To cut a long story short, well, my ex-colleague, let's address him as W. W plans to open a cybercafe just next to his computer shop at his hometown. As we all know so much, most cybercafe will be as good as dead if there were no online games or stuffs like that in it. Too bad W is not a gamer himself; he's more like some crazy-@$$ workaholic. Which is why he came to me for help in consulting him about setting up stuffs related to online games. Basically this is the case.


One more thing.


Do you know I'm SO stupid that I didn't ask him anything about charging him for my 'consulting'? I mean, usually consultants charge a specific fee whenever their services are needed, and maybe I'm stoned or blur at that time when I spoke with W, but I didn't mention about the fees or stuffs like that. Most probably because I just woke up at that time & my mind isn't that alert yet. Moreover after listening to him saying that he'll fully sponsor the trip to his hometown to get the games' setup done, maybe I'm merely overjoyed at this until I forgot to ask him one very simple question.


How much are you paying me to do all this?



This question definitely sound materialistic & money-minded, but d*mnit, I will need some extra cash to fill up my 'already-running-low' funds, right? Tell me, if you were me, how much do you think I should charge him for my service? Moreover, I'm not a professional consultant, just a freelance, and I've never did anything at his side yet, that's why I don't really want to overcharge him or something like that.

Enough for now. Need to get packing already as he'll be coming over to fetch me to his hometown later in the evening. More updates later.


Off-topic : Pelfy, I've bought some souvenirs in the form of yummy FOOD for you. If interested, hmm...gimme a call after I'm back next Monday. Heh...and I miss you so much, dai kah cher!!!


No comments: