Tuesday, January 13, 2009

g r a t i t u d e . . . . ?


Last Friday, I stayed back after work until 9pm to finish up my outstanding jobs before the weekend. As such, I sacrificed my leisure time by rejecting an offer for a drink that night with an old friend who just came back from Australia & will be leaving back end of this month. Finally, I got the job done & went back home with only me & my boss left in the office by that time.



This week...as I've already done my previous job, I have no more outstanding jobs to be done besides waiting for more jobs to come. My senior, who just came back from her long leave last week, gave me a short briefing about upcoming jobs. Nothing fancy, just that she missed the part that I stayed back late. At the end of the briefing, she told me "You better be ready to stay back late after the upcoming jobs arrive. No more going back early like you usually do, and you might have to come back on Saturday & Sunday to finish up your stuffs".


Errrmm...excuse me? What's with the 'going back early' part?



Ok, frankly speaking, I don't blame her for saying that. I'm not offended. I have to admit, for some days, I do go back early e.g 30mins after the official working hours and going back home that time is considered early as almost the whole office is still filled with people that time (yes, all my colleagues are THAT hardworking). Which is why she said I go back early previously. But I do have my own reason to go back early & it's not for fun.

For me, I always feel that it's equally fair to go back home early after you finish all your outstanding jobs or you have nothing else better to do (which is a really rare case). Instead, if I'm loaded with tons of outstanding & seems-to-be-neverending-line-of-jobs, I rather sacrifice my personal & leisure time to finish it up, no matter what (as per what happened last Friday).

But after receiving that kind of remark from my senior, I feel slightly hurt. Not the deep hurt kind of thing, but I personally feel that all my hardwork, determination to finish up my job asap & time sacrificed to finish them, is not appreciated. No, I don't expect everyone in my office to start a party to celebrate my hardwork or present me with an award for my work. I only request for a little gratitude, is that too much to give? A little, maybe just a simple pat at the back? Or a wide, friendly smile? Why do she have to utter those kind of remark to me?

Arghh...let it be. Leave it to be. I'll continue to work hard, and hopefully one day everyone will notice my determination & enthuasism in work.


'Dreaming' for that day to come. When, I wonder?



1 comment:

Grace Koh said...

"I do go back early e.g 30mins after the official working hours and going back home that time is considered early as almost the whole office is still filled with people that time"

This is a trap! Going back early is going back before your official working hours end, not when you leave 30 mins later. But I also understand your situation, it's like the unwritten rule for some workplace.

It's been said that if you've completed your tasks on hand, you should go back on time because once you stay back, it will start becoming a habit and then people or yourself will start thinking that this is how it should be like and then you turn it into a habit..then you'll forever stay back late! Going back on time then will feel so weird to you.

For some reason ( I think for some good reason), my mind shuts off at a particular time after my official working hours. My brain just doesn't co-operate anymore. Of late, I've been staying back for an hour or more then I come home and continue my work because it's never-ending.

But I understand clearly that this is not what I want so as I try to be more efficient and productive, I want to slowly go back to the days when I can leave on time.

We need a life, don't we?